You & Me, Etc.

Title: You & Me, Etc.
Volume: 1 of 1
Author: Kyugo
Illustrator: Kyugo
Type: Manga
Publisher: Blu
Genres: Short Stories, Slice of Life, Drama
Age Rating: 18+ Mature

The Story
What I Didn't Like - I'm not usually a fan of short story collections - the authors usually try to tell too much in too little space.  There's also rarely enough time for any real character or relationship development.

What I Did Like - Despite the short story format, I felt very comfortable with those offered here.  Granted, the plots aren't overly detailed, but they're still well-planned and rarely felt rushed.  I will admit that the first story didn't feel complete after reading it, but the last story complimented it nicely, so in the end I have no real complaints.

The Characters
What I Didn't Like - There wasn't much not to like.  The only true stereotype to be found was the "overbearing female editor", and to be honest, I sort of like that one.  ;)

What I Did Like - While it's difficult to develop characters within the span of a single short story, the author pulls it off remarkably well.  I was especially impressed by the characters from "A Beautiful Tomorrow", and how quickly the author was able to capture my interest with their pasts.  Out of all of them, that was the story I would most like to see turned into a full-length manga.

The Artwork
What I Didn't Like - I wasn't overly impressed with the art style, but it wasn't bad either - just average yaoi fare.

What I Did Like - The lines , proportions, facial expressions, etc,. are all good, I have no complaints.  The make-out scenes are also nicely illustrated.  However, what I really like is the artist's way of drawing humor.  Kyugo manages to fit it in at all the right moments, balancing the serious with the comedic almost perfectly.

The Sex
Ironically enough, despite the "Mature" rating of this manga - there is NO SEX; there isn't even any nudity to speak of.  The closest it gets is a suggested heterosexual blow job.  In other words, it's obvious that it's happening, but it's not hardcore in any way - in fact, a box of text fully covers the "deed" itself.  So, while there are quite a few scenes of guys making out with each other, no actual sex goes on in this book.  To be honest - if you're looking to purchase this title for your public library, I would say that (despite it's Mature rating) as long as it stays in the adult section, this would be a relatively safe yaoi purchase to make (depending on the patrons you typically serve, of course.)

Overall
This is a cute little collection of boys' love short stories that don't really fit the norm.  While there are a few stereotypes found here and there, the stories still manage to feel fresh.  I'll happily be keeping this one in my collection - if only so I can day dream about a longer version of "A Beautiful Tomorrow".

No comments:

Post a Comment